Numbers You May Need During Hurricane Sandy
Keep these telephone numbers on hand in the event of service disruptions from the storm
Whatever Hurricane Sandy brings to New Jersey this weekend will likely result in some service disruptions and travel difficulties. In the event that you lose power or cable, here are some numbers to call:
- Phone service or FIOS television - Verizon: 1-800-837-4966
- Cable TV service - Cablevision: 866-633-0193; Comcast: Middlesex 732-238-3300; Direct TV: 1-800-531-5000
- Power Outages - JCP&L: 1-888-LIGHTSS (544-4877) or PSE&G: 1-800-436-PSEG. PSE&G is also advising customers who require electric powered life-sustaining equipment to call and register. In the event of an outage, they will receive priority attention. Those residents are also advised to have backup equipment on hand, such as a generator or batteries, to operate equipment in the time it takes to restore power.
- Non-emergency police department - (732) 745-5200
PSE&G has also issued the following guidelines to customers as to what to do in the event of a flooded basement or power outage.
IF YOU LOSE POWER
First check your neighborhood. If you are the only one without power, check your fuse box for tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses. If that’s not the problem, look outside at the wire between your house and the utility pole. If it is down, report it immediately to PSE&G.
If you lose power:
- Throw a blanket over appliances for added insulation.
- KEEP REFRIGERATOR AND FREEZER DOORS CLOSED. Food will stay frozen between 36 and 48 hours in a fully loaded freezer (24 hours in a half-full freezer).
- Know how to open your garage door without the electric opener.
- Remember, electric well and sump pumps will not operate.
- Unplug all motor-driven appliances like refrigerators and freezers and sensitive electronic equipment (like TVs, microwaves and computers) to prevent a possible electrical overload when power is restored.
- Leave one light switch on to indicate when power is restored.
Flooded basements can pose a genuine safety risk. Below are some steps you can take to help ensure your safety in the event of flooding:
- Be cautious in flooded basements.
- If customers lose electricity and their basement is flooded, notify PSE&G (1-800-436-7734) and call the local fire department to have the basement pumped. Stay away from the breaker box if it's in a flooded basement. And don’t go into a flooded basement if energized wires are present.
- If water gets up to the height of the gas burner on a water heater or gas heater, customers can shut off the supply of gas to the unit if they know how. They must call PSE&G (1-800-436-7734) to have the gas supply turned back on, because pilot lights must be lit.
Customers should call PSE&G (1-800-436-7734) immediately if they smell gas.