Editor's note: The following information is courtesy of the Rev. Gregory Bezilla, Chaplain for the Episcopal Campus Ministry at Rutgers.
February 13 is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Christian season of Lent.
A simple prayerful imposition of ashes ("ashes to go") will be offered in New Brunswick in the following locations:
- The Rev. Gideon Uzomechina and St. Alban's Episcopal Church will offer ashes at the New Brunswick NJ Transit station, beginning at 7 a.m.
- The Rev. Matthew Buterbaugh and the Episcopal Church of St. John the Evangelist, 189 George St., will offer ashes outside the church by the nearby NJ Transit/Rutgers bus stop from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- At Canterbury House at Rutgers University, 5 Mine St., ashes will be offered along with spiritual counseling and the rite of reconciliation, beginning at 11 a.m.
Ash Wednesday Liturgies in New Brunswick:
- Christ Church, 5 Paterson St.: 7 a..m., 12 p.m., and a joint service with Emanuel Lutheran Church at 7:30 p.m.
- St. Alban's Church, 148 Lee Ave.: 6 p.m.
- St. John the Evangelist, 189 George St.: 7:30 p.m.
- Canterbury House at Rutgers University, 5 Mine St.: 7 p.m.