Six New Brunswick residents have petitioned to run for two new seats on the New Brunswick Board of Election in the first school board elections the city has seen in 20 years.
Two seats are open and will be voted on in the Jan. 22 special election, a two-year seat and a one-year seat.
According to the County Board of Elections, the candidates for the two-year term are:
- Martin Arocho, 8 Dewey Drive
- Jerry B. Mercado, 69 Pennington Road
- Ronald A. Hush, 144 New St.
The candidates for the one-year term are:
- Cedrick Goodman, 29 Joyce Kilmer Ave.
- Antonio Finney, 1116 Fernwood Court
- Diana Fajardo, 54 Remsen Ave.
All candidates are New Brunswick residents.
In November, voters passed a municipal question that transitioned the school board from appointed to elected. The change necessitated the adding of two seats to the board to bring the total number of members up to nine. The remaining seven seats will come to vote as the terms of the seated board members expire.