There was a time in the history of the Super Bowl when people simply bet on who was going to win the game.
But why bet on something so boring as to the actual outcome of the championship when you can bet on how long it will take Alicia Keys to sing the National Anthem?
It used to be that the tried and trusted box pool was the staple of any Super Bowl party wagering. But the rising popularity of prop bets allow people to wager on everything that could occur during the game, from who wins the coin flip to the over/under on how many yards Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta will have on his first reception.
And there are, of course, options to bet on what color of Gatorade will be dumped on the winning coach and whether any player will get arrested before the game.
As you might've heard on ESPN, or any other news outlet on Earth, San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh (okay we get it they're brothers, please talk about something else) will go head to head. The Harbaugh boys will face each other not only on the field, but also on the prop betting scene as to who gets their full name mentioned more often.
Another hotly contested showdown will be between Beyonce's hair, as (presumably) some will be betting on whether the star's locks are straight or curly/crimped during the halftime show (let's go curly/crimped!).
Below are some of the more outrageous prop bets, for entertainment purposes only of course, that are available from from Bovada.lv.
- If Ray Lewis is interviewed on TV after the game on the field or in the locker room how many times will he mention "God/Lord" Over/Under: 3
- What will happen with the Dow Jones the day after the Super Bowl? Market up/Market Down
- What color will the Gatorade (or liquid) be that is dumped on the Head Coach of the winning Super Bowl team? Clear/Water (7/4), Orange (5/2), Yellow (5/2), Green (13/2), Red (13/2) Blue (13/2)
- Will any Baltimore or San Francisco Player on active roster be arrested before Super Bowl XLVII? Yes: +500
- How many times will the game be referred to as the Harbaugh Bowl or Har Bowl or Super Baugh during the game? Over/Under: 2 1/2
- How many times will Harbaugh be said during the game? Over/Under: 20 1/2
- How long will the post game handshake/hug last between Jim & John Harbaugh? Over/Under: 7 seconds
- Will Beyonce's hair be curly/crimped OR straight at the beginning of the Super Bowl Halftime show? Straight: +150 Curly/Crimped: -200
- Will Alicia Keys forget or omit at least one word of the official US National Anthem? Yes: +150 No: -400
- Will Alicia Keys be booed during or after her rendition of the US National Anthem? Yes: +500
- How many times will Jay-Z be shown on TV during the game? 1/2 -120